Scenario 1: PreFlight checking for corrupt or problematic PST files
PST FlightDeck performs “Pre-flight checks” against PST files in order to identify PST files that can not be migrated without user or administrator intervention.
- Password protected PSTs
- Corrupt PSTs
- Empty PSTs
- “Orphaned PSTs” that cannot be matched against a mailbox or user
By knowing the files which can be safely migrated and which ones need additional treatment, the migration queue can be optimized and the number of errors reduced during the migration.
- Passwords are normally removed before the backup to ensure PST FlightDeck can operate on the files.
- Backups are taken of PST files before they are actually processed – this makes it possible to go back and reprocess or deliver the original file back to the end user in support cases.
- The ANSI-to-Unicode Conversion Module is there to ensure that all files are converted to Unicode format for a smooth ingestion. Typically ANSI PST files cause ingestion problems, especially for Enterprise Vault.
- Remove any unwanted content via the Filter Module to ensure that old recurring calendar items do not pop up again – or even a filter that only allows data younger than X years to be migrated.
- Ingest – is the last module which ingests the data into Enterprise Vault, Exchange Personal Archive mailbox, or Office 365.
Scenario 2: End user training and acceptance of PST Migration policies
As PST Migrations involve important end-user data, many companies see a need to involve the end-user at some point during the process. Due to the strict privacy laws in some countries, the user’s buy-in is even legally required. With PST FlightDeck, it is now possible to automate this process and make sure users are prepared for the upcoming PST migration.
- Sending email notifications with links to web-based training and policy management
- Resending of mails until the user successfully logs-in and completes the workflow
- Online training for end-users, explaining the changes in the Outlook client and the impacts of the corporate retention policies
- Display a customizable “E-Mail archiving and retention policy” that the user has to accept or decline
- Follow up “Declines” or Help requests
Scenario 3: End user selection and management of PST migration
In many companies, PST files are the most important information repository for power users and knowledge workers. Often those employees manage their own PST environment by creating backup copies, moving private data to separate PSTs or sharing data with co-workers utilizing Outlook personal folders.
PST FlightDeck optionally adds an end-user work flow which enables the user to select the relevant PSTs, authorize the migration, and optionally delete backup-copies or PSTs that contain private information or data not suitable for corporate retention (eg jokes, newsletters).
It is possible with PST FlightDeck to perform one last backup of PST files which a user marks for deletion, before the files are actually deleted.
Scenario 4: Optimizing server load and bandwidth requirements
Large PST Migration projects normally require migrating data from multiple sites. No matter if the focus of the project is on PST files stored on remote user’s machines or if data hast to be ingested from file-servers in remote locations – the process of transferring the data will always have an impact on corporate IT infrastructure.
PST FlightDeck introduces the concept of “PST sites” to Enterprise Vault and helps with defining the maximum bandwidth available to Enterprise Vault. This prevents Enterprise Vault from putting more files from distant locations in the queue than the network connection can handle. Limits can be placed on the maximum server utilization, ensuring that defined service levels for searches and response times are met.
The Migration Agent, a client-side component of PST FlightDeck, uses Microsoft BITS technology to upload PST files using trusted, bandwidth-aware technologies which also allow resume and suspend when network states change on end-user workstations.
Scenario 5: Full scale reporting and audits for each and every file
PST FlightDeck adds a full featured dashboard that shows the progress of the migration project. This is an essential tool that helps identify issues, check performance and predict timescales. Customizable reports can be created that can be forwarded to other stakeholders in the project, showing the actual status, the progress over time and the number of remaining files.