OneDrive for Business – We couldn't set up this library for you because of a server or list configuration problem
Last week I attempted to synchronise a new SharePoint library to my Windows 8.1 machine using the OneDrive for Business client.
I already had several libraries syncing without problem but this new one just wouldn’t work – I kept receiving a “We couldn’t set up this library for you because of a server or list configuration problem” message when trying to Sync it.
OneDrive for Business Sync Error
No amount of rebooting seemed to fix it.
I logged a quick support ticket to Microsoft and they came up with the following solution. It’s not very graceful or pretty, but it works.
- Stop syncing everything by right clicking on the OneDrive for Business icon in the system tray then clicking stop syncing a folder. Repeat this for all libraries.
- Right click on the Microsoft Office Upload Center icon in the System Tray. Click Settings and then click Clear Cache.
- Right click on the Microsoft Office Upload Center icon in the System Tray and click on Exit
- Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and stop kill the two following processes if they are running – GROOVE.EXE and MSOSYNC.EXE
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows+R and paste in the following path: %USERPROFILE%
- Rename your OneDrive for Business folder and your SharePoint folder for backup purposes.
- Open the Run dialog box again and this time navigate to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\
- Delete the OfficeFileCache, SPW and WebServiceCache folders. Skip any files that cannot be deleted and not all users will have all these folders
- Restart your PC
- Attempt to re-sync the library you were first having issues with. If that works, re-sync your other libraries as well
This resolved it for me and I hope it helps you too.