4 Dec 2019 by Mike Weaver
Inspire: Winning Hearts and Minds
Successful change management requires inspirational leadership. Here’s how to keep your team on track.
Many of our large enterprise customers need to configure their Cogmotive Reports account for thousands of site collections when getting started with SharePoint Online Reports. Until now, adding site collections to your account involved manually selecting the specific site collections – but at high volumes (like 500-1000 site collections) that’s time-consuming and tedious.
That’s why we have now created the option to add large volumes of SharePoint site collections at once – to save you time setting up your reports using the new ‘Bulk Add Site Collections’ option. All you need to do is assign the permissions required for Cogmotive SharePoint Online reports in bulk, and submit them to be added in bulk.
We walk you through the steps to do this below.
First, the pre-requisites:
You will need the following PowerShell add-on in order to run this update.
You will also need to download the PowerShell script.
Next, run the script
1. Open up a PowerShell window
2. At the command prompt type Set-SCOLAccess.ps1-Get. Ensure you use the switch GET
3. Type in the name of an existing SharePoint Admin account
4. Enter the password
5. Enter the name of the SharePoint Admin URL. This is usually in the form of https://<tenantdomain>-admin.sharepoint.com
6. Select Y to edit the output file Sites.txt
7. IMPORTANT: Remove any site collection you DO NOT want to update with the new admin. Ensure there are no blank lines and make sure there is 1 entry on each line.
8. Save and Close sites.txt
9. If you are ready to apply the changes, select Y to ‘Add a new Site Collection Admin’.
10. Enter the name of the user account you would like to add as a Site Collection Admin.
Once this has been run you can open the file in Notepad or a similar text editor.
Now, Bulk Add Your Site Collections to Cogmotive
Now that you have the permissions and list of site collections:
1. Log in to Cogmotive as an Admin user.
2. Click on the Profile & Settings link in the left hand navigation menu and click the SharePoint Reports tab.
3. You can now click the Bulk Add Site Collections button and paste in the output from the file you created earlier. This will import those site collections and make them available in your reports.
And that’s it!
Not a Cogmotive Reports customer, or perhaps you haven’t tried SharePoint Online Reports yet? You can take a free 14 day trial of the full reporting suite, and see what better Office 365 reporting can show you.
Cogmotive is the leading global provider of enterprise level reporting and analytics applications for Office 365. Find out more now.