Do You Need an Enterprise Migration Tool for your PST files?
There could be any number of reasons why you might want to embark on a PST migration or elimination project. Perhaps you want to gain greater control over your email data, safeguard user access against potential loss or corruption, or look to reduce the storage they consume.
Whatever your reasons to migrate PST to Office 365, taking the individual circumstances of your environment into account is a crucial step in identifying the approach that will be right for you.
The size of your user base is the first key thing to assess. This will have a direct correlation with the appropriateness of the tool. For small companies looking to migrate their PST files to Office 365, there are a couple of cost-effective options, such as manual import, which may be more suited for moving small PST volumes to Office 365. In instances like this, it’s easier to justify the attention of an administrator who can manually import a user’s mailbox to a new location without the need for a specific software solution.
For larger enterprises, however, the PST problem becomes more complex. Taking a manual approach here will necessitate a significant investment in time and resources. With more users, comes more PST files. These may have spread themselves throughout your network, eating up resources, creating duplicates, and making the identification of owners increasingly difficult. When faced with projects of this scale, looking to automate wherever possible can be the more cost-effective route to a successful migration.
So, what benefits can an enterprise PST migration tool bring you?
- Identification of owners – PST files are assigned to owners through statistical analysis of their send and receive patterns as well as a wide range of other identification factors.
- Discovery of all PSTs – even those existing in network shares and home drives.
- Maintain full auditing and Chain of Custody – with increasing compliance and regulatory demands, being able to prove the safe transition of your data is more important than ever.
- Facilitate Outlook clean up – ensure the PST files are removed from the Outlook profile during the clean-up
- Maintain user access to PSTs during upload and ingestion.
- Automate import procedures – avoid the need for manual initiation.
- Provide any required clean-up of the PST files – such as addressing corrupted files or filtering out unwanted data
- De-duplicate PSTs – automatically delete duplicated data.
- Facilitate corruption/error correction – repairing, where possible, with clear identification in the relevant audit log.
- Centralize the files from workstations – keeping information within your data security perimeters, avoiding any possible loss or theft of PSTs if they were stored on a user’s laptop for example.
- Protect Slow Network Lines – controlling the migration to ensure you do not overburden slower field office connections
There are many tools available to help businesses with PST migration (or elimination). However, many small and medium organizations find themselves in a lost position. These organizations find they are big enough to have a PST problem, but unsure if it’s worth spending the time implementing a solution versus addressing the problem in-house. In larger projects, a solution is a clear requirement. After working on PST projects big and small, any organization larger than a couple hundred users’ needs a solution. The solution needs to automate the manual activities, as well as intelligently manage resources such as network bandwidth. All of these features can result in a shorter, and more cost-effective project.
Tools such as Quadrotech’s PST Flight Deck have been continually refined in the face of issues such as this to provide businesses with a fast, safe and fully compliant PST Elimination project.