Dealing with Ex-Employees in OneDrive
OneDrive for Business is a crucial part of Office 365, allowing employees to store, share and sync documents in the cloud. The application enables the user to edit and share your files from any device. It is even possible for multiple people to collaborate on the same Office document simultaneously.
All of the files stored on an individual’s OneDrive for Business are private until they are shared. So when an employee leaves your organisation, it may be necessary to access the library and check whether any of the files need to kept or moved, before deleting the user’s account.
There are two ways to do this: you can either reset the user’s Office 365 password and access it directly, or add yourself (or a designated person) as a ‘Site Collection Administrator’ on the leaver’s site collection. To do either of these, you must be an administrator for Office 365.
To become a ‘Site Collection Administrator’ for the ex-employee’s OneDrive:
1. log in to Office 365
2. Go into the admin portal
4. Select ‘User Profiles’
5. Under ‘People’, click on ‘Manager User Profiles’
7. In the drop-down menu to the right of the name, and click on ‘Manage Site Collections Owners’
8. Enter your name (or whoever should be put in charge) in the Site Collections Administration field.
9. Scroll down and click ‘ok’
There is an alternative to this process:
As a shortcut, you can access the OneDrive for Business site by entering the following address:
To copy the ex-employees documents into a shared location:
1. Move your cursor on top of the leaver’s name and click on the drop-down menu to the right of the name.
2. Click ‘Manage Personal Site’. This will display the leaver’s name on the left pane.
3. Click ‘Documents’ in left navigation. This will take you to the leaver’s site, where you can see their files.
To reset the leaver’s password:
1. Login to the Office 365 sign-in page
2. Go into the admin portal
3. In the ‘Users’ section on the dashboard, select ‘Reset Password’ (as highlighted in the screenshot above).
4. Search for the ex-employee by their name or email address.
5. There are two options for setting the password: you can set it yourself or auto-generate one.
Once this is completed, you should be able to use the new password to log into the ex-employees Office 365 account and access their OneDrive.
In order to ensure that you manage OneDrive for Business effectively, and optimize your investment, it is important to understand exactly how it is being used, and who is and isn’t using it. This can also make it much easier to manage when employees move on from your organization. Quadrotech’s SharePoint Online Reports provides detailed, insightful reports on OneDrive, including reports on Inactive Users, OneDrive Storage History, Top OneDrive Users.
OneDrive reports are just a small part of Quadrotech’s SharePoint Online Reports in our advanced Office 365 reporting tool.